The Study Society
Why it exists
Purpose and objectives of the charity
The charity is a limited company (number 07034627) registered with the Charity Commission (number 1155498) and embodies a
tradition of education of the public through teaching and practice that is designed to
bring an inner unity to individuals and to society at large.
To fulfil its charitable purposes, the Society works to preserve, understand and develop
the philosophy it inherits from Mr P.D. Ouspensky, Dr F.C. Roles and His Holiness Shantanand
Saraswati. These ideas present a unified view of the universe and stress the non-duality between
the inner self and the outer world. The Study Society seeks to benefit from the study of other
paths which may expand our understanding.
The Society promotes moral and spiritual welfare by encouraging individuals to pursue a journey
towards Self-realisation — realisation of their full potential — through experience of the true
nature of Consciousness and its deep level of stillness, truth and love.
The charity’s objectives are to help:
- Advance the education of the general public in religion, science, philosophy and the arts.
- The promotion of moral and spiritual welfare.
The Study Society seeks to fulfil these through:
- Teachings on the philosophy of Advaita (‘not two’) which promotes unity as opposed to separation.
- Teaching and practice of sacred dances known as ‘TheMovements’
- Teaching and practice of the whirling dervish tradition of Mevlevi turning which originated over 700 years ago in Konya, Turkey
- Teaching and practice of Vedic Chanting
- Teachings and gatherings to celebrate the poetry of Rumi
- Hosting multidisciplinary events and workshops that integrate Advaita philosophy, science, dance, somatic practise and the arts.
- Publishing books and magazines
- Sharing knowledge through the internet.
Our activities take place through regular meetings, most of which are open to the public.
We love to offer space to other teachers who wish to share other practices that support our educational objectives.
© The Study Society 1951 - 2017 - All rights reserved.
The charity is a limited company (number 07034627) registered with the Charity Commission (number 1155498)